What is Story City?
In celebration of Canada 150+, Vancouver Public Library is collecting memories, anecdotes, and impressions of people living on the unceded land that Vancouver now occupies. We will be collecting these interviews at events and in one-on-one meetings throughout 2017.
Over 200 audio interviews will be recorded and be launched on the library's This Vancouver website. There you can listen to these stories, as well as browse any Vancouver based photos that Vancouverites e-mail us.
We are also creating a new interactive map to help visualize all the memories that people share with us and let you zoom right in on Vancouver's history. The map feature will launch later this year.
I want to share my stories and/or photos! What do I do?
- Record a story:
- Share an image: If you want to submit a photo, please visit this page for details.
What kinds of stories?
We want to hear:
- Personal stories about a particular space, piece of land, or neighbourhood in Vancouver
- Stories of the past that demonstrate historical changes to the land that comprises present day Vancouver
- Your thoughts about what it means to live in Vancouver as a particular group (ethnic, gender, etc.) or within a certain identity
- Your, or a family member’s, individual journeys to or in Vancouver
What about children and teens?
We ABSOLUTELY want to hear from younger Vancouverites!
I have friends or family members who want to participate, but mainly speak another language. Can they still participate?
We have limited translation support - send us a message and we'll see what is possible.
Other questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org